Friday, April 4, 2008


Sadie - she appears so sweet and innocent, doesn't she? She is a sweetheart and a cuddlebug, but she has some fear issues. We've been seeing Jennifer once a week to work on them, which includes a clicker, a lot of treats, and seems to work. But every once in awhile she decides she doesn't like another doggie or that she needs to be all tough.

I don't know what the deal is. Either she wasn't socialized real well as a puppy, was bullied by other doggies, or just has a mean streak, but I have to keep her on leash or she'll lunge at other dogs. Yesterday I took all three for a walk and they were GREAT. I get back to the neighborhood and one of our new neighbors was out walking his pretty Lab. Angus and Darcy both greeted him very sweetly (they're both very well adjusted). I let Sadie get too close thinking maybe there wouldn't be an incident and she bit him on the nose. Poor sweet little guy. He'd never had another dog do that before and was really startled. I felt embarrassed and just awful.

So, back to training we go, and little girl dog now gets to live life with a muzzle. Which I'm sure she'll appreciate. Most of the issue was my fault. She probably sensed that I tensed up and I knew she was too close to the other dog. I should have been polite and kept walking or pulled her further away. Well, I need to put together a treat basket from Sadie to our poor bitten friend to say "I'm sorry." Until then, good night.

No comments: